Sunday 2 November 2008

Nana Brid's Mincemeat


So for my second post of the day I present to you my grandmothers mincemeat recipe. Now I may not eat Christmas cake or pudding but I love mince pies, hot, cold, on their own or smothered in brandy butter or cream. Divine. Last year I made mincemeat that was lovely but I can't remember what recipe I used. I don't really need a recipe to make this and it's easy to take ideas for flavourings etc from books etc but they all seem to contain apples and dried fruit.

So here's what you'll need, Igot 3 standard size jam jars out of the recipe and a 1 litre Le Parfait preserving jar which is a lot, you could easily halve the recipe either if you didn't want so much and it'll make a lovely edible gift too. The measurements are a bit all over the place with pounds and ounces but work with me................


2 lbs cooking apples
1 lb raisins
1/2 lb sultanas/currants
4oz butter
1/2 lb brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mace (I couldn't find ground mace anywhere so ground my own)
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
3 dessertspoons golden syrup, you could use honey here either I'm sure
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/4 pint cider, I used an organic cider from our local shop but you could use any brand you like
1 tbsp sherry/brandy or whiskey

Peel and core the apples and chop into cubes. Add apples and all other ingredients to a large pot and mix well.. Bring to the boil and simmer for 40 mins. Allow to cool slightly and put into jars.

I sterilise my jars in the dishwasher taking them out when they're hot, you could also do this in the oven I'm sure but the dishwasher is nearliest the easiest option.

I'll be making mince pies closer to Christmas and brandy butter to go with them!!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely lovely recipe Rachel and gorgeous pics too.

Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely and has inspired me to get going with the old Christmas preparations - if we can't spend any money this year at least we can make sure the nosh is good!

Stephanie said...

I've always been intrigued with mincemeat, but was put off by the fact that it actually had meat in it. I think I would like this recipe much better! I might actually try making a mince pie using this delicious looking recipe.