Sunday 2 December 2007

A tale of 2 christmas puddings continued...........

So the second pudding I made was from Nigella Lawsons How to be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the art of Comfort Cooking. It uses suet which I know some people don't like but I got Atora Light which has 25% less fat and is vegetable suet to boot, the thoughts of beef suet would put me off eating something I think.

So here's what you need for a 1 1/2 litre pudding bowl

  • 100g currants
  • 100g mixed raisins and sultanas
  • 50g natural coloured glace cherries
  • 50g dried blueberries (I couldn't find these anywhere so used dated instead)
  • 50g prunes (I don't really like prunes so used fried apricots)
  • 50g marron glace pieces (candied chestnuts for those of you who don't know and once again I couldn't find these so I used finely chopped almonds)
  • 60g candied peel
  • 150ml rum
  • 90g self raising flour
  • 125g white breadcrumbs (I actually used wholemeal bread as I don't like white)
  • 150 shredded suet (Atora)
  • 1 medium cooking apple, 120g grated
  • 150g dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice (once again I played around with the spices and used 1/2 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger)
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 lrg eggs (I only has 2 eggs left at this stage so used the juice of half an orange)
  • zest of 1 orange
This mixture is way darker than my first pudding and smelled lovely, more christmassy overall I think.

I find puddings very easy to makem throw everything together and off you go. Nigella added cleaned £1 coins but I didn't bother, and you never know euros might melt if they're heated too much ;-)

You'll need to soak the fruit in the rum overnight and the next day

  • Mix all the dry ingredients together and then add to the fruit.
  • Butter the pudding basin and put the mixture into it
  • Cover the basin with a layer of buttered greaseproof paper and then 2 layers of tin foil and tie with string around the edge.
  • Boil or steam the pudding for 3 hours making sure the water doesn't boil dry.
To reheat at Christmas boil/steam again for 3 hours.

No comments: