Sunday 2 December 2007

A tale of 2 christmas puddings

So this year I ended up making 2 Christmas puddings, 1 because my mother won't eat anything with suet in it and 2 because my husband would be very upset if my mam got one made for her and none made for him.

I have used a recipe I got from the forums on jamieoliver.com and is supposed to be Jamie's nans recipe, it was also in delicious magazine a few years back but I don't have that copy so this is from the Jamie site.

So you'll need
  • 1 teaspoon softened butter, for greasing
  • 1 large egg (I used 1 medium and an extra yolk)
  • 150ml of milk
  • 400g dried sultanas and raisins
  • 100g dried cherries and cranberries (I couldn't find cranberries so I used dried apricots)
  • 125 dates,chopped up
  • 125g butter
  • 125g plain flour
  • 125g golden caster sugar
  • 125g breadcrumbs
  • 2 tablespoons of brandy
  • a pinch of salt
  • zest of 1 orange
  • 3 pieces stem ginger, finely chopped (I couldn't find this anywhere so I left it out)
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
Now I thought that just ginger wasn't really enough spice (and as I couldn't find the stem ginger) to add to a pudding I improvised slightly and after the 1 tsp of ginger added 1/2 tsps of nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice.

Rub 1.5 litre pudding bowl with butter.
In a separate bowl beat the egg and milk together and put to one side.
In another bowl mix all the other ingredients together.
Pour the egg and milk mixture into this bowl and stir or mix with your hands until everything is combined.
Spoon this mixture into the greased pudding bowl and cover with a layer of buttered grease proof paper followed by a double layer of aluminium foil.
Tie these layers in place around the rim of the bowl using a piece of string.
Place the pudding bowl in a large saucespon and put cold water in the pan until it comes half way up the side of the bowl.
Bring the water to the boil then cover with a lid and simmer for 3 hours.

I haven't tried this pudding yet, but it's lighted than your normal christmas pudding, I hope to god it's nice but if not plenty of brandy butter or cream and we'll be set. As with the cake I'll update as soon as I know how it goes.

No comments: