Sunday 24 February 2008

French toast with maple syrup

I wasn't going to do a post this weekend cos I am feeling lazy and haven't made anthing nice in AGES and also I have a new camera and new laptop to play with so my time has been consumed by technology but ever since the husbag took me to Lemon for breakfast on my first day in my new job he's been talking about the french toast we had and I promised him I'd make it this morning.

French toast is a pretty easy meal in my mind, you beat the egg, dip the bread in it and then you fry the bread. Only butter will do for the frying, no oil as the butter adds to the lovliness of the fluffy bread which must be sliced bread, no lovely artisan loaves can be used for this.

So here's what you need for 2 people:

4 slices of bread (I used 2 brown for him and 2 white for me)
2 eggs beaten and poured into a flat enough dish, I use a pyrex dish lid
butter
and whatever toppings you want

Beat the egg, dip each slice of bread into the egg so each side is fully coated and then fry. turn over when the first side is brown and crispy (about 3-4 mins).
Serve sprinkled with icing sugar and maple syrup.

This is lovely with strawberries aswell or raspberries in the summer or even nutella.

No comments: