Sunday 16 March 2008

Chicken Pot Pies - Mini Pie Revolution


So it's the bank holiday weekend, we were out on Friday night and we're not going out tonight so I've spent a lovely leisurely day baking while himself played the ps3, however, I think I might be coming down with something though, maybe a cold, maybe a sore throat, maybe nothing, this may be due to me wandering around at 3 o'clock in the morning with no coat on Friday night, I blame the Harvey Wallbangers for that bad decision!!!

I made gorgeous cheesecake topped brownies today which I'll blog about again and something else lovely that'll be a suprise at the end of the month and also these pies for dinner that are for a blog event called the Mini Pie Revolution hosted this month by Ann at Redacted Recipes.

I make chicken pies on a regular basis during the winter and normally don't measure what I put in at all but have endeavoured to make this as accurate as possible. Also I don't bother to chill my pastry for the top of the pie which is probably breaking every pastry rule in the book, this is how my mother did it when I was small and it's the only time I don't chill my pastry and it turns out just fine.

For 4 individual pies you'll need:

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 chicken breasts (I used free range), cut into bitesize pieces
3 carrots
2 medium onions
2 handfuls of frozen peas
2 tbsp flour
1 litre of stock (I used chicken but veg is fine too)
a good dash of soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh thyme/oregano
Salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to Gas 5/180C
Heat a pan and add oil, saute the onions on a low heat stirring every so often.
Add the carrots and continue to saute for a few mins until the carrots start to soften, add the chicken and brown.
Sprinkle over the flour and stir well to coat everything.
Add the stock and a hood dash of soy sauce, salt and pepper and herbs (go easy on the salt as the soy sauce can be quite salty).
Cook on the hob for 10 mins until the chicken is almost cooked.


For the pastry you'll need:

6oz flour
2 oz butter, diced
3-44 tbsp water

Rub the butter into the flour to create a breadcrumb like texture
Add the water and blend until dough forms (you might need more water but start with 3 tbsp and take it from there).
Roll out the dough on a floured surface, brush some water onto the edge of whatever dish you're using and put the pastry on. I like to leave mine hang down so it's kind of rustic looking but do whatever you feel suits your pie style.
Brush with beaten egg and bake 10-15 mins or until golden brown.

15 comments:

hungryandfrozen said...

Those pies look beautiful :) real comfort food.

Anonymous said...

They look gorgeous, so comforting. Lovely pots too.

Yum!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and tasty-looking! Don't forget to email us with the details and photo! :-)

Katy said...

My DVR recorded me an episode of America's Test Kitchen on Chicken Pot Pie last week -- I thought immediately of the mini pie revolution!

Dea said...

These look beautiful Rachel. Love the dishes. Would never have thought to add soy sauce, but I bet it gives it a lot of depth - will have to try that!

Patsyk said...

Those chicken pot pies look so comforting... I've never made one, but your pictures take me back to my childhood.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Comforting and delicious! I like the idea of a little soy sauce inside too. Mmmm!!

Swati said...

Hi Rachel
I am here for the first time and its a lovely place you have created with recipes as good and interesting as their names..Look forward to see you.

Lori said...

Looks like warmth for the soul!

lorraine@italianfoodies said...

These look great Rach, I've never made a chicken pie before but there's always a first time!! Harvey wallbangers eh?? classy lady!!:)

Anonymous said...

Comforting, tasty, gorgeous, yum!

I've only made a big chicken pie before but love the idea of the individual servings - so cute!

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I was out on Wednesday night with the girls (working all weekend so that was my Friday night) and was super hungover on Thursday morning. Met the lad, went to a local cafe & ordered one of these babies. Twas like a great big comforting hug in a bowl! Yours looks delicious...

Aimée said...

Oh yum. Great recipe and interesting twist with the soy sauce. Ideal dinner for combating all the snow we have here!

Rachel@fairycakeheaven said...

Thanks everyone, chicken pies are comfort food for us when we come home from work and it's cold and the fire is on. Hope you enjoy these if you make them

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

Oh... chicken pot pie... I love, love, love it! And today is a rainy day so it would be perfect! But you know what I'm waiting on? Your giant chocolate truffle cake. That would top off my day!